Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Here is a cheaper way to set that up that works

I am therefore assuming, like the other on this thread, that you mean 'input' not 'output'.

If so, you don't need a transformer to have a differential input connection and the amplifier can process both phases in the differential domain, without serious modification to the amp.

The hardest part is installing the XLR connection itself. Pin 1 is the RCA circuit ground (not chassis) and pin 2 is the same as the center pin of the RCA. The real question is what to do with pin 3:

If you have a cathode bypass cap in the first stage, lift it from ground and tie it to pin 3. When running single-ended, install a jumper from pin 3 to pin 1 to restore the connection.

If there is no cathode bypass capacitor, you have to sort out what the value of one would need to be, then install it between pin 3 and the cathode of the input tube. Its OK if feedback is arriving at this point. For single ended operation the jumper (above) should not be installed.

This connection is not balanced, but it is differential. Some balanced preamps may have a problem driving pin 3 but IME its not a big deal. How differential is this connection? The numbers are pretty good- if you tie pin 2 to pin 3 of the XLR you will find the CMRR to be quite high.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Here is a cheaper way to set that up that works - Ralph 09:04:28 09/08/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.