Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: I Made a Mistake Once...

"1) why is R2 such high value?"

It was my intent to model the circuit in a way that would generally represent a real-world, high impedance bias supply. Many use half-wave rectification with a large value resistor like this connecting the supply to the grid. This seems appropriate considering Dan's mention of limited current capacity.

"2) the grid current for the GL211 model seems to be very different from the datasheet, so how does it match up to the real circuit?"

The GL211 model biases to approximately the same anode current relative to bias voltage as the real thing. It also draws grid current when excitation voltage swings above zero (some models don't do that). Whether the model draws the same amount of grid current relative to drive voltage as an actual 211 probably isn't too important. I used the 211 only to flush out basic circuit operation. Dan will use the 845, so values will be different.

"Also, just how do you define 'A2 only on the peaks'?

What I mean by this is that the amplifier is essentially biased for Class A1 operation. It operates in A2 only during musical peaks that draw grid current.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.