Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Design parameters I hold dear... {Lynn Olsen} ...

For life like dynamics it takes a horn to catch a horn. If you get a chance you should hear one of the horn loaded sub woofers like the Edgarhorn Seismic, or Tom Danley's Labhorn or Tapped Horn. The only direct radiators I've heard that can run with them are the thirty inch EV 30W, and Tom Brennan's former dual JBL 4648 sub rig.

Some K Horn guys go with JBL mid drivers. I had some JBL 175's on test some time ago. There was a problem with one (apparently the diaphragms have to be hand tweaked with an oscillator) but the other one went down to 400 Hz on my home made tractrix horn (with similar dimensions to an Edgar "Salad Bowl" mid horn). I've heard some K Horn replicas run with TAD's on LeCleach mid horns which sounded very good. The crossover region between the mid and bass horn is always a challenge with a K Horn as you can't easily get the woofer and mid drivers aligned in phase unless you use digital delay. And you loose power handling capacity crossing over that low too of course, but that's probably not a problem if you're using low powered tube amps, which gets us back on topic here.

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Design parameters I hold dear... {Lynn Olsen} ... - Paul Eizik 16:45:08 09/06/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.