Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: A "good load" depend on the gain/driver stage and design

Great simulation - I guess your 300B model is good, but I am not sure about your ECC81 and 6SN7 models, which are also important for the end result.

Just as I wrote earlier, it is the circuitry of the amp that counts, not just the operating point or the load. And regardless of that technical issue, the remark about the sound into differing loads is a valid observation - although it may depend on the speakers sensitivity and tone as well.

I have recently improved all my spice models to a level of near perfection (all triode models I use)(by near perfection I mean that the simulated curves are virtually identical to those presented in the datasheets) and this has lead to further optimization of the RH300B (change of Rfb and Ra resistors on the ECC81). Output power has of course increased, so now I can count on approximately 13W at 5% distortion (which is the usual distortion level used). I should write a new blog entry documenting this optimization and several related topics, but just cannot find the time to do it.

I also get a different decay of harmonics than you get in your simulation, which is why I presume that it is probably caused by the imperfection of the ECC81 spice model (in particular).

http://rh-amps.blogspot.com/

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.