Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: The 1625 Appreciation Thread

Indeed the 1625 is both interesting, good, and cheap. The only drawback which is evident is the need for a 7 pin socket (UX7) which was chosen in order to avoid users plugging in the 1625 in 807 sockets - and vice versa.

The 1625 can be used with great results, just like the 807, in my RH Universal amp - of course it would be necessary to install the UX7 socket, or use some type of adapter.

As for bargain, I would like to point out the 1619, which is mostly "abused" by the Tube Radio Receiver collectors (and community) as a replacement for the 45 (they use octal to UX4 adapters to plug it in).

The 1619 is a great sounding directly heated beam tetrode (2.5V heaters) which is rather compact (metal case) and unassuming. For one reason or another, it is not widely known and represents a sleeper tube - although it requires the very standard and available octal socket. I have designed the first version of the RH2A3 for octal socket 2A3 tubes in order to be able to use 1619 (in pentode connection) in the same amp.

The 1619 is reputed to sound better than its more beautiful sibling 1624 (basically a 1619 in ST shape with top cap, UX5 socket, and 25W dissipation), and I am still undecided whether I prefer the 1619 to the 307A... (which might be a case of difference between beam tetrode and true pentode).

http://rh-amps.blogspot.com/

Edits: 09/06/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.