Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Interesting reading!

I understand your explanations. I think you nailed it - the lack of undercut in the tapped hole prevents the centering of the device. However the screw cannot touch the tab, because of the bushing - i think it is the isolating sheet that is probably not perfectly centered around the screw, because the bushing can't extend past the surface of the heatsink and center it.

I didn't care much about this, figuring the thickness of the insulating sheet was enough to prevent contact. Now that I think of it, that was a pretty dumb reasonning :-)

That might even explain the resistance changes with temperature - the metal of both the heatsink and tab expanding, they got closer still. It didn't come back to it's original value because the insulating sheet was permanently thinned...?

The illustrations in the document provide the solution. Il try to enlarge the start of the threaded hole as in the graphics. Then try with and without thermal paste, as its dielectric strength may still be exceeded.

Thank you very much.
Joris

Edits: 09/05/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Interesting reading! - jorisdallaire 20:11:08 09/05/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.