Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

The 1625 Appreciation Thread

Thought I would start a thread on what has become my favorite push/pull audio output tube, the 1625.

The 1625 (VT-136) is an 807 variant with a 12.6 V heater and a 7-pin base. These tubes were used as RF power amplifiers in some of the SCR-274 and AN/ARC-5 "command set" transmitters of WW2. Postwar, 1625 tubes flooded the surplus market, and were available for pennies apiece. Surplus 1625s found some commercial use, notably the use of a pair as modulator tubes in the Heathkit DX-100 amateur transmitter.

The 1625 makes a excellent audio tube in pentode operation. It is not recommended for use in ultralinear, as the screen voltage is limited to 300V. The plates can take 600V all day long. I have a pair of mono amps that uses a quad of these, and these are great sounding amps. I actually prefer the sound from these amps to my old HK Citation II.

For DIY, this has to be one of the last true bargins left in audio. Why would anyone use current production 6L6 or EL34s when these are still out there.
" Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you"

Satchel Paige

Edits: 09/05/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - The 1625 Appreciation Thread - Freo-1 16:08:35 09/05/14 (12)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.