Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: TO-220 tab leaking to heatsink?

I haven't seen the problem you're describing, but it does sound as though the paste is conducting slightly. If it was a hardware problem, you would measure a low-ohms short. The first question I have is whether the paste is actually needed? I did calculations some time back comparing silicone thermal compound and thermal pads, and discovered the paste to be relatively ineffective. So, the first thing I would do is to compare the power you're dissipating to both the free-air and 25C dissipation of the TO-220. That might give you an idea as to whether you need more than simply a mica sheet under the device. Second, if you feel the paste must be used, just place a tiny amount on both sides. Don't use so much that it squeezes out and makes contact around the insulator (including at the screw hole). The purpose of the paste is to fill the microscopic-sized pits and irregularities of the metal surfaces. Very little is required to do that.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: TO-220 tab leaking to heatsink? - Triode_Kingdom 09:19:20 09/05/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.