Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: 300B experiments

I don't care either whether you've tried 100 or 20 operating points: but I don't like bold statements with exaggerations. Assuming you have a pair of transformers with 2 primary options and 3 secondary options, you could probably 3 or 4 different load values combining those. When you add a number of operating points (let's say 60, 70, 80, 90 mA) and a few voltage across the tube values (300, 350, 400) - we could realistically estimate that you might have tried probably 20-40 operating points, of which more than one half do not make any sense at all. Reasonable experimentation would probably not exceed those 20 reasonable operating point and load conditions: thus 100 is a very bold number...

If you like the 5k load with a current draw similar to mine, you've obviously got very different speakers than myself. I would guess they are efficient and bass heavy... and you are probably NOT using the globe "fake mesh" version: again, I guess it's either Sovtek or Electro-Harmonix. Because - at 5k the 300B sounds rather "thin" and lacking in mass.

Of course, I advocate freedom of choice and abhor the situation with 300B amps in general (commercial and DIY) which might be qualified as "replicatio ad absurdum", with the three stage cascaded driver (usually 6SN7) being rather boringly omnipresent...

http://rh-amps.blogspot.com/

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: 300B experiments - Alex Kitic 11:10:13 09/03/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.