Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: I have to say

Once upon a time I had a girlfriend who taught aerobics out of our house. One lady (client) used to bring her boyfriend with her (she didn't drive) and we listened to my stereo drank/smoked/BS'ed.

One day he told me about a friend of his and mentioned he was into audio. Then he told me what the guy owned....well I flat out begged to get a chance to listen. He said it was nice and all....but it didn't connect like mine did. Given most of my stuff came from a thrift store....and most of this guy's stuff ran 5 figures per item....well I found that hard to believe. He had good stuff that sounded like it had been picked to compliment each other.

The day finally came and I have to admit I was quite surprised. Oh it was clean and powerfull. But it was souless.

I keep hearing that there is good affordable solid state out there now. I just haven't had the pleasure. Maybe I fell in love with false artifacts of simple tube circuits and HE speakers. I knew the soundstage I loved hearing wasn't a true representation of real live music...played in front of me in my room....yet when it wasn't there on recordings that I knew had it....I just couldn't be satisfied.

If there is any single area I think many miss the boat on it is speakers. Sometimes it comes down to an epihany. Jeff I think you must of had one with Dennis. I had one (with another inmate) with speakers. This guy had some ribbon tweeters...crazy specs like 110db/watt from 1Khz to 30Khz....yet rated for something stupid like 2,000 watts....yes 2,000 watts....like rolling stones in a football stadium stuff.

We walked away thinking our speakers were toys. We learned what it was to play a HE driver at a very small fraction of its rated power...and to operate it over a range where it is a non-reactive linear load.

So yes, 1 good watt can be all you need....cept for real sub-bass:)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I have to say - Russ57 14:47:52 09/02/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.