Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

With Respect, reads like typical audiophile snobbery

Who decides that 100 watt amps means one is not int tubes anyhow? What doctrine is that? May be yours, mate, but certainly not everyone's.

The speakers I'm using are ATC SCM 19's (with matching subwoofer) which sound WAY better than most of the speakers of higher efficiency you are recommending. The 1625 DIY amps I have, which are 120 watts a channel, using a Thomas Meyer 6AH4 preamp, sounds a lot better than just about any solid state setup I've heard.

The circuit topology has as much or more to do with the sound as the tube itself. Other DIY folks have successfully made very nice amps using this tube. To me, what IS a waste of money is buying current production 6550's which are not as good as the NOS tubes. The 6550A NOS tubes are priced silly, IMHO. Why not instead use a well made NOS tube that is long lasting? Just need to ensure the engineering principals are adhered to, and all should be well. The 1625 tube is not considered an audio tube, yet, done right, it sounds outstanding. I had a Citation II, and these 1625 amps sound better overall.

This IS a DIY thread after all. I have not really heard a bad tube, more like bad designs.

If the tube does not work out, then it will be a simple matter to convert to the 1625 tube with very little additional changes required. I don't think that will be the case, but when one plans a project like this, never hurts to have a plan b. :-)
" Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you"

Satchel Paige

Edits: 08/31/14 08/31/14 08/31/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.