Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

You Rick, I will tell......

The octal socket requires a solder joint, and a different metal type ( pin ) to attach each element in the tube. So, a 6SL7 will have 8 extra solder joints, and dis-similar metals, whereas a dual triode 9 Pin miniature will have NONE of those extra parts.

Rick, it won't make much difference on a low or medium mu tube, but on a high mu tube, the 12AX7 having a mu of 100, used as the first stage in a two stage DC amp, it is audible on a good execution. The ultimate in clarity and pristine playback, only comes with a non-octal miniature there.

Feel free to use 12AX7s in phono stages. Excellent.

I don't quite know what Triode-Kingdom is talking about, when he claims the 12AX7 tube is non linear. I think its hard to beat a good 12AX7 in certain positions, recall using Telefunken smooth plates, etc etc ?? Of course, being sensitive, high mu, it takes a better than usual execution of the power supply, which most designers and DIYers ignore or "miss", to get the most from them.

Regards,

Jeff Medwin

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • You Rick, I will tell...... - drlowmu 18:16:37 08/25/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.