Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: 6SF5 to 45 design help

Hello,

In 1947, Jack Robin and Chester Lipman published a small $2.00 book entitled “Practical Amplifier Designs”, sub-titled “45 Proven Circuits for the Technician and Experimenter “. One of their circuits in this book actually was a two stage direct coupled (6SF5 - 6B4G) all triode amp, which you are showing us here in your post.

Its very much a Loftin-White derivative, and it certainly is like any direct coupled FI amp. The Robin-Lipman book was likely an inspiration for Isamu Asano and Nobu Shishido, as the Robin-Lipman book preceeded their L-W builds by many years. Good ole USA !!!!

I can help you a lot, as I have written this amp up, along with others, in my never-published article on "How to Design and Build" such amps.

It it impossible for me to send this article direct to you through the Forum Member's email system, but if you email me your regular email address at drlowmu@gmail.com I will send you back my entire article, which will give you precisely what you need to execute a quite fine Type 45 DC amp.

One suggestion, as finals, its really best to use either a Type 45 or a JJ 2A3-40 for one main reason, because of the 2.5 Volt filament. It allows the use of AC heating, which simply sounds superior. Since 1982, I owned 66 6B4Gs, and have been selling them off ( now ) on eBay at $25 each, just because of the filament heating issue, and because the JJ 2A3 is SO superior in design and overall sonic performance. Any used ( reasonably priced ) vintage Type 45 tube is a KILLER sonically also.

Either finals tube discussed will out-perform your 300B mono amps because, not only are the smaller DHT tubes superior sounding, but because of their Direct Coupled two stage configuration, which is an ideal topology. Do the supply well !!!!!

Have fun. You are going in the right direction Aaron !! Let me hear from you and I'll send the data, and assist in any way I can, gratis. I rather routinely scale direct coupled designs for fellow audio DIYers.

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 08/24/14 08/24/14 08/24/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: 6SF5 to 45 design help - drlowmu 07:10:39 08/24/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.