Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: ESR

Jack
When the 2700uf caps were used in my ALtec 1530s, the mids were compressed and the high end extension was 1300cps lower on measurement until I took those out and had gone to film caps..I understand that bypassing changes that narrative but at the voltages we are dealing with and these were series connected,1350mf is an overkill that most likley changed the output impedance of the power supply. The original capacitance after the huge choke was a total 20uf at 900v.I had put in a pair of 51uf at 1500v solens in parallel and the sonic character changed dramatically just from those two caps as opposed to the series connected 2700uf caps/
I had the same thing with my Cary/AES 811 SET amps..Dennis had used his typical 1200uf series connected caps in the supply rail and I had taken those out and put in a pair of 80uf motorrun caps in parallel and just that upgrade helped the high end extension and it made the amplifier quicker because it was inherently slow..I did a few other upgrades but the motor run caps did the most for it.
I cannot understand why anyone would put that kind of capacitance in an amp at 600 to 800vdc because we aren't talking massive amounts of current at those voltages where you would justify it... YMMV tho.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

Edits: 08/23/14 08/23/14 08/23/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.