Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Two.

Last Christmas I traveled the 5.5 hours to NY City down Rt 95 in heavy bumper to bumper traffic traveling at 70 – 80 MPH in our Passat wagon with my wife driving. The trip is tedious, stressful and boring and I spent a good deal of my time as a passenger looking for a decent radio station as we passed from one station to the next down the coast. The Passat has a basic radio with 4 speakers in the doors and two “ear lasers” in the dashboard, so the “treble” control is attenuated a good 45 deg. Between the road noise, the wind noise, and the engine noise there is not much bandwidth left to hear the radio, but I picked up a classical station as we approached New Haven and could just make out the announcer saying Beethoven’s “Pastoral” Sonata was coming up next.

As the meltingly beautiful opening stanzas of the melody unfolded through the thick haze of noise, my mind was drawn to the music. For the next 20 minutes I was transfixed by the distant and distorted, but ever so familiar music, that the road and the sensations of it became secondary to my consciousness. As I “sang" along in my head with the distant piano as it swelled, receded, and faded entirely for seconds at a time I never missed a note and never lost my place. I was captivated by Beethoven, spellbound by his genius, and seduced by the beauty of Sonata No. 15. As the radio station faded away along with the final notes of the Sonata, I found myself at Stanford having lost myself in a profound “musical experience.”

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Two. - Palustris 09:55:09 08/17/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.