Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Nice idea - you could use a DHT driver, though.

I'm so happy with my PSE 4P1L amp I haven't built anything in 2 years. Stocked up on the tube when they were cheap. But I use filament bias, and that's more complex in terms of power supplies - certainly a 2 chassis job. I simplify the filament supplies by using Thurlby Thandar 30v 2A bench supplies - get them cheap on ebay and they sound great into Rod Coleman's filament boards.

The triode 6V6 is similar to the 4P1L in terms of gain and power. You could use them in PSE for instance. But what you can do fairly painlessly is use a 4P1L driver stage in filament bias. With sensitive speakers and 2v in from a DAC or similar then 2 stages should be enough - it is for me with Mark Audio Alpair 10s and a 2v ES9023 DAC running off batteries off my Mac Mini.

I use LL1660/25mA interstage but the Hammond 126 is also pretty good - lacks the last level of detail but good sound and bifilar wound. I have the C model at 15mA but the B model at 30mA would probably be better for a 4P1L.

With DHTs and filament bias you don't need the cathode bypass cap, and since I loathe them that's enough motivation for me. With 6V6 you'd have to choose between a cathode bypass cap and fixed bias. Since I didn't fancy either I used 4P1Ls in the output. But the 6V6 is a decent sounding tube - not a DHT but OK for what it is, and the good thing is the gain of around 10 allows you to use 2 stages.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Nice idea - you could use a DHT driver, though. - andy evans 02:26:41 08/17/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.