Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Really, Mark

we are writing here about a length of wire, It certainly isn't rocket science. What is so difficult about actually trying it?

To sum up, thus far:

1. There are those posters who obviously have not even bothered to try a wire change. However their superior intellect reveals that it can not have an effect, or, if it does, the effect is largely negligible, a very subjective position in my thinking.

2. Then there are those who tire of the "audio game" and discount any difference, if any, which can be discerned. Strange, how they consider their systems high end, though. I do make a difference between high end and high performance, BTW.

3. Then there are those who want to intellectualize it even further and drag in philosophical concepts into the fray.

All fine and dandy, but the truth is human sensory perceptions are the basis for humanity's view of the world. It is the basis for engineering and ultimately for science. We can argue the audibility of certain sonic attributes. But the variation in human individuals is enormous. Some senses can be trained but some senses may never be fully impressed on certain individuals.

But for the great unwashed (meaning me), perhaps you can elucidate exactly what Dennett's writings reveal about audio and in particular to this thread.

I feel that the tread is really unnecessary. You hear it or you do not. QED.If you haven't tried it, then it is ridiculous to state an opinion and then present it as a fact.

of course YMMV and FWIW

PS In regards to much of Dennett's views, I do believe the next two decades will be very telling. Some of it reflects on Gould and even perhaps Dawkins, but the termination of Doublya terms has opened many new venues in molecular biology, and in particular DNA analysis. There are preliminary indications that some research may revolutionize our thought processes in regards to certain fundamental cultural ideas.

Just my opinion, of course, and one gained from long conversations with a couple of molecular biologists doing research in the field. Some aspects, they point out, are pretty much verboten, primarily because it may contradict fundamental concepts in the field of, say, religion. Some are simply economic driven, too.

Certainly his view that religion will die out in 25 years is certainly not borne out in the Mid East or in the Christian right wing movements here in the US. But then, I digress, this has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, unless you believe that being an audiophile is a religion ( or maybe it is, hmmmm.....)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Really, Mark - unclestu 14:50:19 08/14/14 (4)
    • OMG - op48no1 15:59:36 08/14/14 (3)
      • RE: OMG - unclestu 16:03:47 08/14/14 (2)
        • Ouch! - op48no1 16:09:54 08/14/14 (1)
          • LOL ! - unclestu 16:53:26 08/14/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.