Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

C'mon Henry...........

My five inch speaker in my truck has pretty good reproduction of music. I can get the gist of pretty much any performance, pop or classical. Is that good enough? Does it enable me to distinguish Perlman playing his Strad or his Guarneri? When I listen to Elizabeth Schwarzkopf, can I her her breath control and throat tones ? No I can't. They are not necessary for enjoyment but I find that it all adds to an appreciation for the skill of the performer, though.

Why do you even bother to read posts on this asylum (or any audio forum for that matter, if you no longer wish to experiment or explore audio options? If you are satisfied with what you have so be it. No one is going to argue that point. I do think it is hubris to impose your view of being good enough on everyone else, though. If you notice I did post about doing DBT but I did not post any conclusions, BTW (which might surprise you).

Going even further, why bother buying a Steinway or Fazioli, if you aren't of the caliber of the great soloists? Is buying a better instrument going to improve your playing skill? Does owning a Steinway make you a virtuoso? Maybe you'd better off with a simple Yamaha electronic keyboard and just practicing.....

The whole reason many of us are in audio and this never ending quest for perfection is the capture of the nuance and the subtlety. I don't play piano but there are moments when I can hear the pedal action clearly and that adds a certain greater dimension to the performer's rendition, IMHE.

If you say that that is unimportant to you, then fine: so be it. I can not argue subjective taste. But when seemingly little tweaks can make what I consider important sonic changes, why even bother to post a disagreement, particularly if such changes are what you deem subtle at best.

Being human we all have different standards and different goals.
C'est la vie....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.