Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Just curious ...

I perhaps have done the most extensive DBT of wire of any one I know. Of course , I am a dealer so I have certain advantages; access to various wire and manufacturers, a platform on which to experiment with, and blind testers (my customers).

I had wired my demo Conrad Johnson preamp: PV-12 with five inputs with different wire at every input. I had so called 6N 24 gauge copper FEP coated on one input, 24 gauge 4N silver FEP coated on another, I had Cardas 24 gauge, on another, and Kimber SF23 on yet another. The fifth input I would change as I got curious about other wires and their configurations. All inputs were broken in for 7 hours using the PAD break in disc before evaluation (as recommended) followed by a 20 minute break in period to tone down the inevitable brightness which followed playing the disc.

Thus by merely switching the IC I could evaluate the various input wires, the longest of which was a mere 2 inches (Left jack to mother board). There were audible differences between all wires evaluated in this manner. I could offer to play any wire for the customer based on his sound preferences. All could hear differences (well to be perfectly honest a couple could barely distinguish certain wires from each other, but all could hear the difference between Cardas and kimber SF 23, however).

Thus, for me, cable changes is definitely not a mind game. I have already done the testing to my satisfaction. To simply intellectualize and come to a conclusion is merely a throw back to the days before Galileo: Of course a heavier object will fall faster than a light one: it is only common sense !

LOL!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.