Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Just curious ...

If you look at my recent posting history, you'll see a couple of messages where I explain why I've lost interest in audiophile listening tests. Basically, I agree with golden-ears who say, "Everything sounds different." The problem is, I don't know any way short of rigorous blind testing to verify whether the differences I hear are real or imaginary. For the level of effort I'm willing to put in, the answer is basically unknowable. There is music, and then there are audiophile games, and I've given up on the latter.

With so many things in the world to learn, why waste time chasing the unknowable? This is why I make the distinction between Question (1) and Question (2) above. Philosophers may debate and argue whether belief in the power of reason is just another kind of faith. I understand that, and I'm no philosopher, but I'm satisfied that my best hope for understanding the world is rational materialism.

Given all that, my answer to your question is, "Yes, and so what?"

No offense intended. It's just that your question is kind of like the response of a religious nut when you challenge him to prove the existence of God: "Have you ever tried praying to god for an answer to your question?"

-Henry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Just curious ... - op48no1 14:22:32 08/13/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.