Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

You're right

It is silly. After all subtlety is not necessary in music is it?
There is little difference between a high school violinist and some one like Heifetz, after all they can all play the same notes.

I once had a customer who brought in his girl friend to do some final auditioning, Her comment "I can hear the words just as clearly as my cock radio, why spend the money?" still reverberates. Yep, Music is important to some and not important to others

Sure, music is not one of the fundamental needs of mankind, usually defined as food, shelter, and clothing as being considered the great needs. Funny, though, how all major cultures on the planet, well, I take that back, how every culture incorporate music. It is certainly not necessary for life, but it certainly augments life as we know it whether we like it or not.

In fact, Daniel Levitin has some interesting theories about the necessity of music for human culture. Read his This is Your Brain on Music and the World in Six Songs. His postulates are most interesting.

One of his contentions is that the Renaissance started when Gregorian chants gave way to harmonies (in the West, at least) and it promoted alternate thinking. Controversial, at the least, and it becomes a little like the chicken or the egg saying, but no doubt that alternate reasoning paths in mainstream thinking did start off at the roughly the same time.

To discount any tweak or audio advancement as being too subtle is to ignore what makes a virtuoso a true artist. Its what marks the difference between a Stradivarius and a student model instrument. The greatest music and musicians are marked by the subtlety they infuse in their performance.
If you can do something to increase the awareness of that subtlety, then I would greatly disagree with you, as I find it greatly enhances my appreciation for the piece being performed.

Of course YMMV

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.