Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: more LOL

"You wrote there is no measureable effect befween silver and copper. I merely responded but I did not say resistivity was the cause of any perceived difference. In fact I made a short list of parametets which have affected sound IMHE."

Well, your post with the leading sentence "You forgot the obvious, silver's resistance is about 6% less than copper (or was it 4%)" [First four words in the Subject line] certainly gave the impression that you considered it to be of significance. And I didn't say that there would be no measurable difference; I said that any measured difference would be
negligible and of no significance (as far as the human ear is concerned).

By the way, in your previous comment, you said "Your attempt to bowl over readers with undefinable parameters (the numbers you give), is meaningless, totally so." The numbers I gave, I believe, were the relative permeability of copper and silver, the estimated resistance of the wire in the DAC, and the estimated input impedance of the amplifier. In what sense are they "undefinable"? In what sense "meaningless"?

Anyway, if you are now saying that the relative conductivities is not, in your opinion, a significant factor, then we can at least agree on that one.

But you surely must have *some* physical mechanism or mechanisms in mind for how the various parameters you previously listed might be affecting the sound?

Cleantimestream, for example, has asserted that the different magnetic properties of copper versus silver are an important consideration when discussing the comparitive audio properties of the two wires. I cannot think of any plausible phenomenon along these lines that could conceivably make an audible difference, but I'm happy to wait and hear his proposed explanation before commenting further on that one.

But if you can propose a characteristic in the sound that you think will depend upon the physical properties of the two different connecting wires, then we can maybe discuss whether it is likely to be within the limits of human resolution. That is, I think, what you were asking for?

Chris

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.