Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Changing internal output wiring of DAC

>Feedback in amps would not have any effect
>since so much feedback is used in the recording.

Lack of feedback certainly has an effect, if it leads to excessive, and noticeable, distortion. But the argument does demonstrate that massive feedback, as used in the modern SS equipment in the recording process, is harmless enough.

>Tubes vs SS would have no effect since
>so much SS is used in the recording studio.

To the extent that tubes give rise to a "tube sound," it is because of colourations they introduce, and so certainly one tube amplifier at the end of a long chain of SS amplification can affect the final sound.

>Since speakers have so much distortion then
>the small distortion of the amp shouldn't be heard.

There are different kinds of distortion, and the kinds introduced by the speaker may well be different, and distinguishable, from those introduced by the amplifier. Having said that, tests seem to indicate that humans have a pretty hard time distinguishing between amplifiers on the basis of their distortion, provided the THD is reasonably, but not incredibly, small.

>It is an absurd argument and falls appart
>when looked at closely and rationally.

I don't agree. How, for example, would you counter the argument that replacing a few inches of copper wire by silver wire at the end of a long chain of prior lengths of copper wire will have a negligible proportionate effect?

Chris

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.