Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: PAS3 circuit issues

To recap: I completely rebuilt my PAS-3X years ago from stem to stern with audiophile-approved parts, including the filament supply, volume pot (Alps Black Beauty), tube sockets, all resistors (Holcos before they stopped making them), and all film and electrolytic capacitors. It has increased B+ supply capacitance using Elna Cerafines following suggestions I got >10 years ago from Gordon Rankin. Bass controls are out of the circuit, and treble controls are out of circuit at center. The filament supply did not escape notice.

I appreciate your recommendations, but it's quite a long way from "your line stage is not working up to snuff" to designing a new line stage. At the point where you're using half a 12AU7 gain stage direct-coupled to a 12AU7 cathode follower, isn't that a tacit admission that one might as well go ahead a build a different preamp? It's not really a PAS-3X anymore.

I was under the impression that the PAS power transformer didn't really have enough current capacity to run 12AU7s optimally. At least I think that that was one of the conclusions of Norman Koren's analysis of the amp.

Considering the reviews I've read of various versions of the Aikido preamp, I've been thinking that I might build one if I decided I wanted an active line stage. I even went so far as to buy an enclosure intended for a new preamp, but that was before the economic crash eliminated my job, sent me scrambling to keep my head above water, and forced me to turn my hobby into a livelihood. At this point, I'm a professional Hammond/Leslie and guitar amp tech. I have a shop, and I repair and rebuild amps every day. I've neglected my own HiFi system for a few years since I've been too busy fixing everyone else's stuff.

If I built a volume control into my ST70 so that there were no cables between the pot/attenuator and the input stage of the amp, would that make it any more acceptable? There is room. My ST70 has a custom base that's deeper to allow for PP power supply caps.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.