Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: back bias

Here's an amp I built based upon the Peerless A100A. Note the bias for the output tubes is developed across the 750r "back bias" resistor; but this amp was engineered to compress the signal on loud passages. As more current flows through the bias resistor it slides the bias of the output tubes more towards class B allowing it to increase power output before clipping. Notice also that the driver stages have a plate supply voltage greater than the output tube B+ because of the negative supply. This amp was very carefully engineered by Melvin Sprinkle and his team at Peerless.

This back bias scheme will not work for a front end tube for the same reason it does work for the output tubes. As the amp draws more current during loud passages the input tube will have its bias go more negative cutting off the tube. For the input tube you want a very stable bias. If you need 3V, I would select a couple of LEDs for the cathode.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: back bias - Palustris 10:22:51 08/01/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.