Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: OT Bedroom System

Dan,

I know in the past may speaker designers would put together a system usually listening to it once or twice and maybe liking what they heard(maybe not) but because of financial expenditures in designing(R and D if you will) they might have marketed the speaker before its' time. In other words, before it was totally done. Money before quality.

Another issue was that a speaker designer might go to the computer to get the crossover for the speaker and it spit out maybe one but also maybe a few options for a crossover and after listening you decide. Most never listened. They just put in because the computer said it was right. But who wrote the program for the computer? You? Me? Another? So who says we are right. Who says a totally flat response is right. Maybe a bump, a dip, a this, a that is right.

Look at what you did. You inadvertently changed some operating point or parts quality to get a better result, to your ears(which I trust implicitly by the way). Anyway! Going back to the original design the parameters might be a bit off from the original resulting in a better sound. Again, to your ears.

Another aspect to consider is the drivers. When the speaker was built the drivers used were "X". What happened if "X" wasn't available and they used a different version of "X" or for that matter a "Y" driver and just stuffed it in a box using the same crossover. That could also be where the sonics could be compromised.

Now for the last scenario. Elliot from Zalytron was a speaker builder and parts seller. He very rarely ever cared to listen to what he built. I asked him how he could tell if what he built was correct. His answer? Joe D'Appolito designed his crossovers. But how? On a computer and because it was Joe and the computer said to do something it was right. Joe never listened to anything he designed for Elliot. Yes maybe it was and maybe it wasn't. The computer is supposed to be a tool(as in PSU II) to get you in the right direction. The rest is your ear but how do you know if it is never listened to until it gets to the consumer.

You probably had an idea and it worked. Good for you!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.