Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Class A2

I wasn't having a go at you TK ... more for the sake of those unfamiliar with these classes. I tend to agree that there should be a class specifically describing the operation we are discussing for the sake of clarity.

To answer your question, for output stages I seek to ensure that my driver will provide sufficient drive to ensure that the OP tube transitions smoothly into grid current up to the tube's saturation level without a significant increase in distortion.

For gain stages the grid is generally sufficiently negative that it will never become positive with respect to the cathode even at the highest signal levels it will ever experience. Therefore designing to drive the following stage into grid current under overload conditions is normally irrelevant.

However, I do see value in direct coupling and whilst this element of the design may normally be common to driving into A2 (normally being the operative word) I do it to take the coupling cap directly out of the signal path wherever it makes sense. Where it doesn't (and this is relevant to the original question in this thread) I try to use a high quality coupling cap, generally as low a value as I can get away with. More often than not I use Schottky diodes for bias because I like their sound or lack of it, eliminating the need for a bypass cap without the performance loss associated with an unbypassed cathode R (gain, internal resistance, OP impedance etc).

Hope this covers it.

Naz

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Class A2 - Naz 19:26:22 07/30/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.