Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Nope, no coupling cap with the battery bias

Hi Mikey, long time no see. Hope you're doing well. If I'm not mistaken, the 1570 uses zero-bias triodes in Class B. I'm not a big fan of this topology, but I admit its been many years since I've heard them. As I'm sure you know, Class A2 is very different. In an A2 amplifier, operating conditions at most power levels (including "the first watt") are essentially Class A. The signal may not be exactly centered in the curve, but it's usually close. This means nothing untoward happens (grid current) until power levels are very high, well into the area where nuance and detail are usually masked anyway by the higher dynamics of the sound. More important, being IT or direct coupled, the A2 input circuit creates minimal recovery issues. The design is enhanced from this perspective if the cathode is also connected to ground with a low impedance and no bypass cap. The fact that an A2 design can not only resolve the recovery issue, but also eliminates the audible liability of grid and cathode caps, makes it my favorite topology. ;)

Edits: 07/30/14 07/30/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.