Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

More on This...

I don't want to let go of this without at least a cursory examination of the quotation you posted:

"shunt resistors can actually create problems because they can produce a low-impedance source of damaging current to any diode that may have reached avalanche potential."

This claim raises at least one troubling question. If a diode in the string has reached avalanche potential, in other words, its PRV has been exceeded, are the resistors really the issue of concern? Isn't this a theoretical problem that doesn't exist in properly designed circuitry? If a diode avalanches, and the current path through the resistor causes junction failure, it only means the designer failed to install a sufficient number of diodes relative to the total PRV of the string.

I am also skeptical of the author's claim that the resistors provide a low-impedance source for current flow. Values for these resistors are typically in the vicinity of 470k. This seems almost insignificant as a parallel value when considering the impedance of a diode that has avalanched.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.