Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: your thought on this please . single GZ34 vs 2 x EZ81 parralell for preamp duty

From my experiences listening in 2013, with high mu tubes as would be used in a preamp ( but in my case, an amp ) I would DEFINITELY avoid paralleling sections.

Use one high powered dual rectifier tube.

I like "directly heated" ones, and would FIRST try a new production JJ 5U4G in that rectifier spot !! PSUD2 it. Possibly listen to a higher Z 5R4 with a bigger drop of B+. No paralleling of rectifiers with high mu tubes, skewed the sonics to my ears, screwed up diction and enunciation slightly, and others who did similar tests concur.

Use a big SINGLE rectifier tube and a BIG high current rated power transformer.

'Ever look at a 1970's ARC SP3 power trannie, which has stood the test of time? No tiny dude, like a Dynaco PAS-3 at all. The 1970s ARC D-75 power trannie was about 8 Ohms DCR on its HV winding too !!! William Z KNEW !! Everyone skrimps and barely gets by !! They, I"M"HO, do not understand !!

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 07/21/14 07/21/14 07/21/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: your thought on this please . single GZ34 vs 2 x EZ81 parralell for preamp duty - drlowmu 06:55:18 07/21/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.