Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Transformer regulation question

I'm having a run of 15VA heater transformers wound by a new supplier and for such a simple device , it's causing me to doubt my own sanity . Having trouble trying to get the winder to understand that I want the output voltage to be 6.3V with a 1A load on each winding to allow a little leeway WRT heat . I was under the impression for a 15VA core , the regulation is approx. 15% . So far two samples have been provided . First one came in 7.6V off load 6.8V on load (exactly the same as a 230V:6.3+6.3 15VA unit) , second one 7.4V 6.6V . For the tests both 6.3V secondaries were loaded with 5 ohm resistors on 15cm leads which actually exceed ratings of the transformer but the output volts are still too high , even after a few hours . Due to this , the heat is excessive in comparison to other 15VA units in stock . I have explained that the transformers are for heaters and I would prefer the on-load volts at the required current to be 6.3V +/- 0.1V and I have requested a 240V primary , the mains around here is typically 238-246V . It's like banging my head against a brick wall as they have a three week lead time including samples , I'm now six weeks in since initiating the order and I'm having to make-do with 230V:6+6 units which seem to work perfectly but have slight mechanical noise . I've never had this problem before and wondering if I am actually specifying the transformers incorrectly in the first place

Al

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Transformer regulation question - Al Noakes 15:23:40 07/15/14 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.