Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Transformer Phase Inverter - Several Questions

Several years ago I asked about using the primaries of cheap PP output transformers as phase inverters. Never actually tried using them in the amp I was building at the time, however. Well, I've gotten interested in this topography again.

Further research turned up a comment that the two sides of a 1:1 transformer could be connected in series and that the connection point could be used as a center tap, which would allow its use as a phase inverter. Am I correct in assuming that this refers to an isolation transformer?

Could the secondary of a CT filament transformer be used like this too?

How would you determine if the current rating is adequate for this use? Is there a (hopefully simple) formula to figure this out?

Another related question . . . I've seen a few schematics that use this method and the value of the coupling cap that goes to the driven side of the transformer is huge compared to the caps used in tube inverters - 6.8uF, 8uF - compared to .47uF or less. Why is the cap so large?

Thanks for any insights you can offer!

. . . Charlie

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Topic - Transformer Phase Inverter - Several Questions - FlaCharlie 16:12:41 07/14/14 (10)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.