Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Oh dear ... let me rephrase

That helps a bit. A first order crossover has only 90 degrees of phase difference between the highpass and lowpass signals, and (ignoring temporarily the response of the drive units) the tweeter signal is still substantial two octaves below the crossover (625Hz in this case).

Without writing a book on crossover design, I think you'll get the fastest and most reliable answers by experimenting. Put in the capacitor that Tre' described, but lay in a supply of several values. Use clipleads or a switch so you can compare the sound with the cap in and out, or between caps. Don't listen for sonic quality, just the frequency response/tonality.

It is not uncommon to reverse the tweeter phase, especially in first and third order crossovers, looking for the best sound. Add that to the experiment if you have thee time and patience.

You may well end up with something different from the designer's intent, but that works better in your room with your music etc... But if you do the experiment, you will know what compromises and choices you have made, and will have no need to worry whether it might have been done better.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.