Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Having been down this path

The problem isn't the signal your amp has to handle.....it is the signal your speaker (individual drivers) have to handle. Let that sink in real good and hard.

The simple solution you are after leaves you with a two outcomes. One is you have such a shallow slope that your amp and tweeter sees a lot of energy below this 500 hertz spot you pick (and that is a rather bad spot BTW). The other is, if your speaker crossover is such, that you leave your SET driving a complex impedance that changes with hertz (because they don't make a tweeter that can run 500-20,000 hertz without serious problems/crossover help). Neither is what you want.

Bottom line, you will walk away thinking bi-amping is flawed. That would be a shame. It is hard to get right but the rewards are there. You just have to think it through a lot more and get the right parts.

I'll suggest you look at what speakers (drivers) can do on the flat and level. We are talking about what range of hertz they can handle while keeping a ruler flat impedance. I doubt you will find much (in a single driver) that can handle more than about three octaves.

What you should be looking for, unless you want to tri-amp, is a mid-range driver that can run down to around 125-250 and up to around 1250-2000 hertz at 100db/watt (minimum) and mate that to a compression driver/horn that can run from there to 20,000 hertz (more or less). You would then have a passive crossover between mid-range and horn. Your SET would drive those. You'd be surprised what a couple/few class A watts can do.

You would use an electronic crossover after your preamp to send everything below 125-250 hertz to a solid state amp (say a 15" speaker on it) and everything above to the SET. If your musical tastes dictate it, a dedicated subwoofer will be needed.

You are better off using pro-audio drivers. Pick a crossover that allows you to adjust slope and cutover point. There are many things to take into account from room conditions to mechanical slopes of the drivers so you need adjustablity to begin with.

Don't think this will be easy. Chances are high you will decide amps were never your problem and that speakers were. There are some 12" and 10" vintage (alnico) speakers that will do and a few newer 8". DSS and 18sound made some good (cheap) horn lens.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.