Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Isn't the net result the same?

"Some other amplifier will have to provide the drive for frequencies below 500Hz."

Yes but that amplifier and speaker could be playing well above 500Hz.

Again I think he just wanted to limit the frequencies going to the amp that's using the passive crossover to cross the tweeter at the original crossover frequency (one that I'm assuming is a good amount higher).

"Doesn't that amount to crossing over at 500Hz?"

Not really. Again I think he just wanted to limit the frequencies that the tube amp has to deal with, not cross the tweeter at 500Hz.

I could be all wrong about what he trying to do. He wasn't all the clear.

I do hope he will try pass filters (used as the crossovers) in front of the amps and eliminate the passive filters between the amps and speakers.

I like active low pass on the woofer amp and just a cap for the highs but that will depend on the frequency response curve of his tweeters and how that all lines up with his desired crossover point.

One caveat, to protect his tweeter from "bumps in the night" he might want to add a cap between the amp and tweeter with a -3db point well below his crossover point. No sense in losing a tweeter from a turn-on surge.

Tre'
Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still Working the Problem"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.