Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Help needed to determine capacitor purpose

The circuit is obviously an older design using a floating or self balancing paraphase phase inverter. The designer chose to use a very low cutoff freq for the phase inverting triode that requires a large value coupling cap. In the old days, caps of the nec value were either leaky electrolytics or somewhat less leaky paper types. What you see in the schematic is a trick used to mitigate the leakage issues while still maintaining an effectively large value coupling cap. While the highlighted portion will act as a form of a HP filter, that effect is incidental to the primary purpose of effectively producing low leakage coupling using inherently leaky parts.

The easy refurb approach would be to replace the caps with = values but of the greatest sonic neutrality...you be the judge of neutrality. I'd be looking a high quality PP at a min.

If you're more adventurous, you can model the circuit to determine the composite response and design a circuit using only 1 cap and 1 resistor that mimics it. This is how the circuit would be implemented today with modern, low leakage caps.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Help needed to determine capacitor purpose - Steve O 11:14:18 04/09/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.