Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Rookie needs help please: wiring the Hammond 266M2 for CT (2.5V CT)

Hi,

"To do this, do each of the 1.25V wires connect to a filament pin and both of the 0V wires connect to the top of the cathode circuit"

Yes, the ends of the winding go to the tube socket's filament pins.

To determine wiring, use an Ohm meter on connected wires, to find about half the DCR ( the center tap ) AND, fire up the primary and measure, VAC on the secondary. Should measure above 2.5 VAC END TO END on the entire end to end winding, unloaded. Check lead outs both measurement ways, DCR and VAC and have one method confirm the other.

Once you get it running OK, re-do the four lead outs to double TCSS. This means two TCSS on ends, and either three or four total on Center tap. Keep cathode return to ground leads as short as possible, Use the length of the Rk power R to make up the distance of the ground return. On SE amps, I shoot for two inches or less lead length on the secondary center tap.

Very important to change the primary lead ins to triple TCSS, to maximize dynamics and transient response on a SE DHT amp. The lead outs on BOTH sides, when optimized, will do two things sonically, flesh out the instruments, and add transparency, greater dynamics too, three gains in total.

Have fun. Listen to it step by step and learn.

Jeff Medwin

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.