Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

follow-up comments

Your oil cap power supply will do fine just as it is. The original console amp had much less capacitance, and just cheap electrolytics.

The Z565 output transformers should be a nice improvement and will permit you to experiment with UL operation of the output tubes, as well as reduced feedback (since those Dynaco reproduction OPTs will have better bandwidth than the Magnavox originals, they should need less or even no NFB.)

As far as I know there is no exact formula for the cathode bypass capacitance, other than that it should be large enough not to roll off the bass unacceptably. You can experiment and listen.

I don't know much about how to optimize the paraphase gain-splitter circuit. The original Magnavox parts values and operating points may reflect an effort to tailor the amplifier to the original console speaker drivers and enclosure. As long as you do not exceed the tube safety margins, I think you should just follow your ears.

Good luck,
JJ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • follow-up comments - JJ Triode 22:06:38 04/05/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.