Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Upgrades

I know this is a SS amp and this section of the Asylum is for DIY Tubes but a lot of you guys out there are into SS so I figured this would be the best place to ask. I looked all over the categories on the Asylum and I didn't see anything specific for SS.

Anyway, I have this Zen amp. It is a Nelson Pas kit that was put together many moons ago by I don't know who. It works and sounds real good but I wanted to know if there is anything that can be done to make it sound better, if possible. These kits later became his First Watt line of amps(I was told). They run real hot to the touch.

The voltage coming out of the rectifier to the blue cap bank measures 35VDC and after the chokes it measures 33VDC.

Seems like the power supply is very basic. Power transformer/ rectifier/ cap bank/ chokes/ then off to the boards.

I was wondering if a 35VDC regulated supply would be an enhancement. Cap replacements or bypassing with other caps, etc. and so on.

If I was told to leave it alone and that it works then so be it. But anyone who knows me knows I can't leave things alone.

I don't know what power transformer it is using and the current output. It is definitely a step-down transformer but it's pretty big in size.

Thanks!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - Upgrades - xaudiomanx 16:38:06 04/01/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.