Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

26 preamps.....

On the next thread up we have details of a 26 preamp, and I hate to say this but in my experience it's a better tube in all respects, especially with filament bias.

I know Thomas Mayer's work and it's beyond excellent - and ironically he was the person that developed filament bias for tubes like the 26 and his own favourite the 801/10Y. Now that's another marvellous preamp tube.

I have a lot of respect for the 6AH4 - in fact I ended up giving all my stock to Thomas. I was using it as an output tube where it does a good job, until I discovered the 4P1L which obliterated my previous thinking.

The 6AH4 is a good tube, no mistake. It's just that some of the directly heated tubes like 26, 10Y, 46, 4P1L are better in line and driver stages. More clarity and tone and a little bit of magic. That's my take on it, and I haven't used indirectly heated tubes in about 3 years for that reason. So clearly I'm biased!!!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.