Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

6AH4 tube for DIY Preamp

I was discussing new projects for amps/preamps with a buddy, and the subject of low mu tubes for use in a preamp came up. He said he had made 12B4 preamps in the past with excellent results, so I suggested a preamp with 6AH4 tubes.

Well, he put a prototype together, based on the DIY 12B4 circuit, with a 5U4/5V4 rectifier. Well, the results far exceed expectations.

The 6AH4 is one dynamite tube for preamp applications. Easily one of the best preamp tubes I've ever heard. The low mu tube approach seems to be the way to go. I've got it mated to a pair of 120 watt mono block amps with 12SN7 input and a quad of 1625 power tubes.

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would bother with 6DJ8/6H30 tubes (with all the associated issues) when there are tubes like the 6AH4 readily available.

I'm currently having a high end version of a 6AH4 preamp, based largely on the Thomas Mayer circuit (with a few small differences). Should be finished in a couple of weeks. Will post some pics once completed.
" Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you"

Satchel Paige

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - 6AH4 tube for DIY Preamp - Freo-1 17:40:08 03/31/14 (20)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.