Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Switching from fixed to cathode bias

" Yes, I understand that, but it is less problematic with more efficient speakers innit?"

Well, with high efficiency speakers and a Class AB high power amp, you are only using the amp in the class A region (low power). So both of us are correct.

" The power output in fixed bias for this amp is about 100 w/chl. What are we looking at when converting to cathode bias?"

As above - what power can you get from the amp without significant change in total cathode current? Some amps will give 30% or more of full rated power, others maybe only 1%.

You can of course measure the total cathode current at various output levels, calculate the bias voltage that would be achieved with a given cathode resistor, readjust the amps for that bias voltage, and listen again. Enough of that and you will have a good understanding of where to draw the line.

One reason I'm being cautious is that a small shift in bias voltage makes a large shift in quiescent current. Current is what we usually measure when setting the bias voltage, but it's voltage that will change as the power output increases.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.