Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: High transconductance tubes sound as transistors...

Unfortunately, tubes and circuits that use them are - at least a little - nonlinear EVERYWHERE. So for this to be meaningful, there must be some arbitrary boundary between "highly linear" and "not so linear".

One time-honored definition is the point where 5% THD occurs, into the specified resistance load. Here are some problems with this definition:

1) If this is useful for no-feedback SET, then it is probably not useful for push-pull, or pentodes or beam tetrodes or transistors or FETs or anything with feedback - they all have different harmonic distortion signatures.

2) This is specified for a resistive load, thus is less relevant for a loudspeaker load. How exactly do you specify a load region, or linearity within such a region?

3) Even for a single stage of no feedback SET, clipping or compression on one side (grid current) sounds different from the other side (plate curve compression).

Another time-honored tradition applies to high feedback amps, where you can call it linear as long as no clipping occurs. But you still have to define "clipping" pretty carefully, and you still have to address the load reactance questions.

I'm not happy with either of these, but I don't see any definitions that are better either.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.