Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: High transconductance tubes sound as transistors...

"If it doesn't sound good it is not the fault of the tube, but of the designer."

In keeping with that;

The single ended stages in audio amplifiers are Class A out of necessity.

Part of the definition of Class A (not the short definition at the beginning of the chapter but the full descriptive definition found in the main text of the chapter) is that for low harmonic distortion, the tube is "only operated in the most linear part of the dynamic curve".

The operating condition (voltage, current, load and max. input signal) will not only determine if the tube is operating in the most linear part of the curve but also how linear and long that part of the curve is.

For low harmonic distortion it's up to the designer to make sure that the tube is being operated in the most linear way possible.

For me, this usually means relatively high idle current and active plate loads that keep the load line horizontal. This insures the tube operation stays away from the non-linear cutoff region.

A designer can stray from this and "color" the amp however he wants to for taste.

At that point the discussion regresses away from science and all bets are off.

Tre'

Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still Working the Problem"

Edits: 03/30/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.