Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Hi Mike, but I don't have the original cans. 470uf 400V NipponChemicon dark-brown caps are pretty tall!

So, any replacements simply need to fit the holes in the chassis. I know that's not a lot of diameter increase over refilling the cans - 2-3mm max - but we can increase the height quite a lot, can't we?! :-)!

What dielectric do those Cornell Dubilier 35uf 500V caps have? I would like to go a bit higher in uf if possible. I can assure you that the bass in a classic valve amp - once given a high-storage PSU & WGAS about its impedance! - is very very good, tight, great SLAM, and still tubey up the ying-yang. Just not tubby or slow nor rich, either.

So can we go any higher than 35uf in this diameter but increase the height?

The diodes are already quiet or Soft Recovery types. I don't know when Schottkys came out but these went in in the late 1990s, and they are snubbed as well - as the review I linked to made clear.

You didn't address the query about the cathode bypass caps.
Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Hi Mike, but I don't have the original cans. 470uf 400V NipponChemicon dark-brown caps are pretty tall! - Timbo in Oz 02:43:57 03/28/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.