Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: 300B PP or SE, serious DIY project

PP300b is fantastic. I would not hesitate. Do not expect pure SE sound but something a bit more tight and precise.

That's the scary part...how can you know if PP keeps what you like about SE 300Bs? You might even like PP more....or you might hate it.

We took these stupid-fancy PP300B amps to the Munich show

http://www.silbatoneacoustics.com/P300.html

After a few wicked power surges and two total power failures, something in one of those monos was not working right, so we switched to SE300B.

Even with mega efficient horns, playing at crazy loud show volumes I noticed a slight 'fuzzy' quality to the SE, and these are very precise sounding high dollar SE amps.

jc morrison designed both amps. His stuff all sounds good but it must be low distortion, wide bandwidth and rarely has a strong vintage flavor. He is a high tech dude.

I don't insist on any particular presentation anymore. I like clean and I like fat and juicy too. There are good and bad versions of each.

We all know SE can be fabulous when operated in appropriate situations. If you must have some variation of the psychedelic 300SE sound, you must play the 8W game and adjust speakers and expectations to that project.

I have heard wide variation in SE 300B, from mud, to drug-like juicy and organic, to icy cold. Driver stage, power supplies, and parts matter as much as the power tubes, maybe more.

Depending on your present SE amp, it might not be that much of a leap to PP.

PP 300B done right is a strong amp. PPP 300B starts getting complicated.

------------------------------

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must remain silent -- Wittgenstein

Free your mind and your ass will follow -- Parliament/Funkadelic

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.