Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

From the same article -

"Similarly, the audiophile favorite of the 12AU7 loses some of its luster when a dirt-cheap surplus NOS 6SN7 has three times lower distortion and three times the drive capability. These things are audible; when you work at the device level, repeatable correlations between sonics and appropriate measurements begin to dawn. Unfortunately, as long as magazine reviewers are incapable of appreciating the functional difference between a mu-follower and a SRPP, they will never penetrate this level of insight and understanding."

Any 'shock-horror noval' 6CG7 will eat any 12AU7, yet 'rolling' 12AU7s is all the rage.

The recordings are increasingly the problem, and always have been the central issue for me. I found out about audio from recording engineers in our cathedral, way back when.

Reviewers? an example. Ken Kessler had a redeeming feature, despite his manifest ignorance, it was that he USED to write about absolute polarity. hasn't for years.

"I owe, I owe, it's off to write, I go!" eh? ;-)!

NFB has been overused, as Lynn points out, but a triode is a 'feedback device' too, isn't it? It depends.

JR's question about scale effects is important and penetrating.

AA is very NOISY too. ;-)!

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • From the same article - - Timbo in Oz 05:17:41 09/05/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.