Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Sounds like you are searching for "The Absolute Sound"

>However, the statement "Amplifier A, with silver interconnecting wires, sounds more musical to me than an identical amplifier B with copper interconnecting wires" is a statement which, if words are to have any meaning, becomes an objectively testable one. Unless the person making the statement is just indulging in sophistry and deliberate obfuscation, those words mean that there is an assertion that the A and B amplifiers can be distinguished by that particular listener.

--------------------------

OK, now who is going to build two identical amplifiers except for wire and set up a scientific blind test (of questionable relevance) with impartial referees just to satisfy YOU, especially if they are already convinced?

I'll tell ya what....buy two pairs of step up trans from Slagle, one silver and one copper, send them to me and I will tell you which is which. If I am right, I get to keep the ones I like. If I am wrong, I give you both back. Dave will probably agree to a low restock fee if you don't want to keep #2.

I am sure I can reliably distinguish those two units I heard at least 95 out of 100 times but I don't see why I need to prove it. I already sorta did to/for myself.

Don't believe me?...cool. Have a nice life!

I told you about a room full of pros who did this very test, blind, at RMAF. We were all fully convinced that there was a profound difference.

Do we care if we can convince anonymous skeptics via internet posts? Not at all.

But I will say that if you were there and did not hear the difference that we ALL heard, we would think you were either playing with us or deaf. It was that magnitude of difference, like switching between two radically different speakers, not chasing tiny little tinkling sounds at certain parts of the song.

The people in that room could design and build a complete high-grade stereo from raw materials, including all transformers, turntables, arms and cartridges and speaker drivers and have done it all previously. And I could write a really badass brochure to sell it.

We all know and trust each other. We all agreed. Where is the motivation to prove our experiences to some random non-believer disincline to try for himself?

I think your answer is for YOU to do the test and see if YOU can hear the difference. Why does anyone else's preferences matter?

Or do you think everybody hears the same?

If so, prove THAT!

In any event, your raging skepticism and disbelief has no empirical foundation whatsoever, It is totally faith-based.

Quit speculating and go do some experiments, Chris!

------------------------------

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must remain silent -- Wittgenstein

Free your mind and your ass will follow -- Parliament/Funkadelic

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Sounds like you are searching for "The Absolute Sound" - Joe Roberts 16:28:03 09/04/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.