Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Interesting Factoid

That is generally correct because we are dealing with SOCIAL SCIENCE not physical science.

These is nothing flaky about it...the questions are simply beyond the purview of physics because we are talking about meaning and creativity.

Engineers and physicists just don't learn how to deal with this material and that's OK because (usually)what they are doing is only peripherally involved with these questions.

Electronics is physics. Music listening poses another problem set.

Can physics explain visual art because light is involved? No, absurd suggestion.

Can physics handle poetry? Hell no!

Well the same is true of musical aesthetics.

This is not about paranormal phenomena. There are libraries of books about these subjects and very highly developed theory and methods for investigating it.

None of them will yield testable positive knowledge. That is a goal that belongs to a different field and it is way trickier in those fields than most practitioners understand, if you really look into the relevant theory.

If you don't know about this world of inquiry, that is a gap in your education...but nobody knows everything, so don't feel bad.

If you want to know if these are genuine phenomena, try experiencing them yourself. That might give you some hints.

Nothing personal, this is an academic discussion as far as I am concerned.

But I will say it pisses me off when I see scientists or even anthropologists treating people like things, and they do it too...in the name of what they think is scientific method. I blast them all the time.

The irony is that once the line is crossed any hope of validity and relevance to the human nature of the activities ostensibly under the lens is lost. It is not only bad science, it is pointless.

There are a lot of absurd claims out there, many based on invented fantastic physics, and I reject that nonsense as fast as any trained physicist. I withhold judgement sometimes on whether the effects might be real and the explanation fantastic, simply because I can't know without hearing it.

But I gave some reasons above why many of the experiences reported by listeners are beyond the boundaries of physical science and properly should be.

The fact that these experiences is not understood or readily accountable by means of simple scientific explanation is not a test of whether they are genuine or real. Physicists and engineers could to a better job in descriptive analysis of the physical phenomena underlying these perceptions, perhaps, because they sure are sucking at it now. ;op

So, Chris, you are not responding to any of my theoretical points, only repeating how you don't like what I am pointing at.

I don't always like it either but such is life. This human creativity stuff is actually very difficult to study and characterize.

You tell me how physics or any "hard science" can handle musical sound aesthetics and human perception/interpretation of meaningful musical sound.

I'll be waiting for your learned reply.

------------------------------

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must remain silent -- Wittgenstein

Free your mind and your ass will follow -- Parliament/Funkadelic

Edits: 09/04/12 09/04/12 09/04/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Interesting Factoid - Joe Roberts 00:53:22 09/04/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.