Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Lack of Substance

You're entitled to your opinion.

And, I enjoyed your post with TRE on listening and how unwanted artifacts are noticed over time.

I would, however, caution about using any form of NFB to correct high-frequency phase anomalies-- and that phony "sparkle" that both of you notice so well. That's good-- it shows that both of you can hear well, and can discern the differences.

In my own case, those anomalies show up when I'm doing something else, NOT having a listening session. I'll notice anything that's a bit off while doing something else, and just enjoying music. It will invade the room in an unexpected way-- it will be obvious it isn't right.

Then, one can decide what is causing the rift-- and can try to eliminate it by design-- not by trying to "fix" it-- unless it is an obvious fault-- like a slightly sub-standard tube, or an interference with a source component.

I don't use ill-concieved designs. To assume that is WAY off the mark!

You seem to prefer "objective" discussion involving numbers, graphs and fixes. Most people involved in this hobby do-- that isn't a fault. It IS-- however, a LIMITATION.

I said something about this topic in another post-- one can get all of these numbers and formulas in any good public library, from forum members, or from texts, both printed and online.

To constantly re-hash this stuff all the time on this forum may be called "substance"-- and it is-- but it should already be there, or should be being asked for, or looked up.

If one wants THE BEST possible performance from these simple music systems, then he'll have to graduate beyond mere formulas and science-- he'll actually have to design with MUSIC in mind.....

NOTHING in this area has advanced anywhere near as far as has wire--"boutique" wire. Some of the best engineering ever done on anything is right now being done on wire for audio. You can dismiss that at your own disadvantage. A very LARGE disadvantage, it has proven to be lately.

You have it right in that any system that assigns the same artifacts to all music is dead-wrong. Such a system is REALLY screwed-up-- bigtime..

Each recording does, and should, sound different. After all, they are all different.

Your seeming belief that it is necessary to quash new ideas and original thinking is not necessary for anything. The smart thing to do is read and learn!

I do that! I put the GOOD stuff right into my "forum" file. Later, I can look at it, and learn from you!

---Dennis---

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.